We know that you care how information about you is used and shared and we will use your information carefully and sensibly. We comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and treat your information in strict confidence. By visiting our website(s), you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this Privacy Notice.
Controllers of Personal Information
Any personal information provided to our website(s) is controlled by the office of our company CreateABookCover.com.
Collection and Use of Personal Information About Members and Customers
The information we receive from site members, visitors and customers helps us to personalize and continually improve your experience of our website(s). We use the information to assist members and users with finding and creating covers for their ebooks and for other site services. We use customer, member and user information to handle orders, deliver products and services, process payments, and to communicate with you about orders, services, products and promotional offers, and to keep our records up to date, maintain your account with us, and to recommend merchandise and services that might be of interest to you. We also use information we receive to improve our customer services, prevent or detect fraud or abuses on our website, and to enable third parties as applicable to carry out technical, logistical or other functions to enable the delivery of our site and services.
The details above are examples of the types of information we gather. We comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and treat your information in strict confidence.
How personal data is used
We use your personal data in order to operate our website(s), to provide you with any services you’ve requested, and to efficiently manage our relationship with you if you are a member or user of our website(s).
We also use your personal data for other purposes as appropriate, these may also include the following:
To communicate with you. This may include:
- To provide you with information you’ve requested from us, or information we are required to send to you
- Operational communications, such as changes to our website(s) and/or services, or to provide assistance with using our website(s) and services, or in the provision of security updates
- Marketing communications to you (about us or other services or products we think you may be interested in) in accordance with your preferences for receiving marketing information
- Asking you for your feedback, for example to assist us in providing services or improving our services further, or to take part in any research we may conduct. We may instruct a third party to assist in research.
To provide you support:
- This may include assisting with details about how to use our services, resolution of any issues relating to our website(s) or services, or with any technical support issues or other disparate issues, whether by email or other communication method
- To further enhance our websites and their services and to develop new sites and services that may be of interest. This is done by, for example, tracking and/or monitoring your use of our website(s) and our services with the aim that we further improve services, or, for example, by our carrying out technical research or analysis of our website(s) and services with the aim of optimising your experience as a member, visitor or site user and to provide you with more efficient functions, services and tools on our website(s).
To provide marketing to you:
- As well as our sending you marketing communications as per your selected marketing preferences, we may also use your personal data so as to display targeted advertising to you online – this can be through our own websites and services or through third party website platforms.
To aggregate and analyse data and report as appropriate:
- We may use the personal data we collect about you and other users of our websites and services – which may be obtained directly or from authorized third parties - in order to produce anonymised and aggregated reports which we may share publicly or with third parties. For example, to promote the site with anonymised details of overall site users or for investment purposes to further develop our website(s).
Information you give us:
- We receive and store any information you enter on our website or impart to us in other ways. You can choose not to provide certain information, however, please be aware that if you choose to do this you might not be able to take advantage of all of our websites features and functions. When you visit or use various sections of our websites and/or services we might ask you to provide personal data to us. For example, we ask for your contact information when you sign up; order services or products; respond to an email offer, participate in community forums, join us on social media, or contact us with questions or request support. If you don’t want to provide us with personal data, you don’t have to, but this might mean in some circumstances you may not be able to use some parts of our websites or services.
Information we collect automatically:
We collect some information about you automatically when you visit our websites or otherwise use our services, like your IP address and/or device type. We also collect information when you navigate through our websites and services, for example, this includes what pages you looked at and what links you may have clicked upon. This information is useful for us as it helps us get a clearer and better understanding of how you’re using our websites and services so that we can endeavor to continue to provide the best experience possible, for example, by personalizing the content that you will see.
Some of this information is collected using cookies and similar tracking technologies. If you want to find out more about the types of cookies we use, why, and how you can control them, then review our cookie notice details further below.
Information we get from third parties:
- For the majority of information that we collect we collect this directly from you. Sometimes we may collect personal data about you from other sources, for example, such as publicly available materials, and/or trusted third parties such as our research and marketing partners. This information is used by us to help add to the personal data we already hold about you so as to better personalise, inform, and improve our services to you. Also to validate the personal data that you provide as appropriate.
When and where we collect personal data we will only utilize or process it as follows:
- Where we have your consent, or
- To undertake and service a contract with you, or
- Where we have legitimate appropriate interests to process the personal data and they’re not overridden by your rights, or
- In accordance with legal obligation(s)
If you are someone who doesn’t have a direct membership or relationship with us but you believe that a member of ours has entered your personal details and data into our website(s) or services, you’ll need to contact that member, subscriber or user for any questions you may have about your personal data. Including, for example, where you want to access, amend, correct, or otherwise request that the user remove or delete your personal data.
We use email correspondence to help us personalize and continually improve your experience as a member, user or visitor on our website(s). All correspondence is treated in strictest confidence. If you have opted into receiving news, promotions and update emails from us but later decide that you do not want to receive such emails from us, please change your communication preferences on your user account page. This includes the right for you to cancel your account should you wish to from your membership account page. If you are a member of our site you can click on your account page and access your communication preferences and account preferences from there. Your membership account enables you to choose whether to receive correspondence from us.
How we can share your data
There will be times when as appropriate we need to share your personal data with third parties. We only disclose your personal data to:
- Other websites or companies in our group of websites and companies, or
third party partners and service providers who enable and assist us to use the personal data, for example, to support delivery of our services, or to provide functionality on our websites for provision of our services, such as to provide hosting, process banking, handle orders, deliver products and services, process payments, communicate with you about orders, maintain your accounts with us, or to market or promote our goods and services to you
- Appropriate law enforcement bodies, government agencies, regulators, courts or other third parties where we deem it necessary to comply with all applicable laws or regulations, or in order to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights. As appropriate and where possible, we will notify you of this type of disclosure
- An actual or potential buyer or franchise partner, and their associated agents and advisers, in, for example, connection with any proposed or actual purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business or websites, or to run a franchise-type version of one or more of our website(s)
- Other people where we have your consent
Business transfers and delivery of services
As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy websites, stores, subsidiaries or business units. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice unless the customer or site member consents otherwise.
Delivery of Services
When delivering services for members and for customers we utilize other companies and individuals to undertake functions to deliver services to you. For example, banking services to process payments and fulfil orders, sending postal mail and e-mail where appropriate, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, and otherwise processing credit card payments and providing customer services. The functionaries who undertake such delivery of services as outlined in the paragraph may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. Further, they must process the personal information in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by GDPR.
International Data Transfers
In order to provide our services and functions as appropriate when we share data it may be processed in, or transferred to, countries other than the country you live in – such as Europe or the United States in order to fulfil our services. Various countries may have different laws than your own. Our primary aim where we disclose personal data, such as to a third party in another country, is that we put safeguards in situ to ensure your personal data remains protected.
In the European Economic Area (EEA), as applicable for those who reside there, this means that your data may be transferred outside of the EEA. When as appropriate your personal data is transferred outside the EEA, it is only transferred to countries that are ascertained as providing adequate protection for EEA data, or to a third party where there are approved transfer mechanisms in place to protect your personal data. For example, by entering into the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses, or, for example, by otherwise ensuring the entity is Privacy Shield certified for transfers to US-based third parties.
Security is of upmost importance to us in protecting your personal data. We’re committed to protecting your personal data and to ensuring we have appropriate organizational, technical and security measures in place accordingly, including to prevent and protect against phishing or other targeted scams which are common to the Internet.
Information Security Protection
• We protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input to the accepted secure standard for web transactions. SSL is provided and approved by high street banks and used by major websites such as Paypal and Amazon
• We maintain physical, procedural and electronic security and safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personally identifiable customer information. Our security procedures mean that we may need to request proof of identity, and you agree to provide this, before we disclose personal information to you.
• We reveal only the last five digits of your credit card numbers when confirming an order. Of course, we transmit the entire credit, debit or payment card number to the appropriate credit card, bank or other established payment processing service during order processing as per standard banking industry practices and their secure use of security systems and all standard forms of payment transmission.
• It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when you finish using a shared computer.
Retention of data
The period of time we keep your personal data depends on necessary factors such as whether we have any ongoing business need to retain it, for example, to provide you with a service you’ve asked for or in order to comply with applicable tax, legal or other accounting requirements and obligations.
We retain your personal data for the period we have a relationship with you and as applicable for a period of time afterwards where we have an ongoing business need to retain it as above, this is in accordance with our data retention policies and practices. Following that applicable period we make sure it’s deleted or anonymised.
It’s your personal data and you have applicable rights relating to your data. For example, when it comes to marketing communications you can opt out of these at any time. To do this, follow the unsubscribe instructions contained in a marketing communication, or click on Mailing Preferences on your member account to edit and save your mailing preferences.
You also have rights as appropriate to:
- Know what personal data we hold about you and your details, and to make sure that data is correct and up to date
- Request a copy of your personal data or ask us to restrict processing your personal data or delete it
Protection of our site, our members and others
We release account and other personal information when we believe it appropriate to comply with law, to enforce or apply our conditions of use in our User Agreement, or to protect the rights, property or safety of our website(s), our members, employees, owners, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction. Obviously, however, this does not include selling, renting, sharing or otherwise disclosing personally identifiable information from members, customers or users for commercial purposes in a way that is contrary to the commitments made in this Privacy Notice.
With your consent: other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might go to third parties and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
Whenever we transfer personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area in the course of sharing information as set out above then we will ensure that the information is transferred in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by the GDPR.
Cookies - What cookies/tracking technologies do we use?
A cookie is a small text file that’s placed on your computer or cell or mobile device when you visit one of our website(s.) We, and some of our third-party service providers and affiliates, may use a few different types of cookies. Some are persistent cookies (cookies that remain on your hard drive for an extended period of time) and some are session ID cookies (cookies that expire when you close your browser).
We also use other tracking technologies like web beacons (these are sometimes called “tracking beacons” or “clear gifs”) and local storage. These are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier and they enable us to recognise when someone has visited our websites or opened an email that we have emailed them.
Cookies and tracking technologies are important as they help us operate our websites and services, including to assist in enhancing our service to you and to customise our services to you and enhance your experience across our websites and services, perform analytics, and deliver advertising and marketing that may be relevant or useful to you.
There are also cookies set by third parties across our websites and services. Third party cookies enable third party features or functionality to be provided on or through our websites and our services, such as interactive content, advertising and analytics, for example, via Google Analytics. They also enable us to, for example, use advertising networks to manage our advertising on other websites.
How can you control cookies?
You can accept or reject cookies by amending your web browser controls as follows. Cookies are important, and our websites and services might not work like they’re supposed to, and in some cases, might not work at all, if you decide to reject our cookies.
Most advertising networks also offer you the option to opt out of targeted advertising. For more info, visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ or http://www.youronlinechoices.com.
You can also manage your cookie settings by following your browser's instructions. Here are some links that may assist:
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Terms and Conditions, Notices and Revisions
If you choose to visit or join and use our website(s), your visit and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Privacy Notice and our user agreement and terms and conditions including limitations on damages and application of English law. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we collect about you and your account to enable the use of our website(s) and services. We stand behind the promises we make, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of users.